Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Update to the latest Control Toolkit

If I want to update to the latest AJAX Control Toolkit and install the ASP.NET Future, what are the steps that I need to take?

For installation of Ajax toolkit watch this video and documentation at

http://ajax.asp.net (last video as of todays posting)

For futures which is still in development

http://www.asp.net/downloads/futures/default.aspx, select quickstarts from there


I already know how to install AJAX toolkit. I just wanted to how to update to the latest version. Some of the question are: Do I need to delete anything? If yes, what? If not, will it automatically update the controls in my Toolbox?

As for the Future, I already watch the video there...but it was not helpful nor does it answer my question. My question was, and I will repeat again, if I don't already have a Dynamic Data Website, what do I need to modify or configure my site so that I can go ahead and use the Future components? Second of all, the video is not in C# so it is pretty much useless to me because I don't program in python.


Well if you do exact installation in same folder where you extracted your zip files and installation, then it will overwrite, I usually keep a copy of previous dll just in case. However I did a check two weeks ago and the old toolkit is exactly the same as new one.

As for futures is concerned, I would suggest you to wait, but the choice is yours? However play with it if you want. you can always convert python to c#, logic remains the same. Hope that helps pal


Thanks for the response. I'll keep that in mind.


Mark that as answer for other people looking for the same question or put a response and mark as an answer


Sorry. I thought I did. I have been having so much problem with the asp.net website lately. The page kept going blank or not loading at all.


Infact this forum page crashes everynow and then too..


So just to clarify for the hard of thinking, to install the latest toolkit on top of the previous one, all I have to do is:

download the latest version zip file


On your server, just replace the old AjaxControlToolkit.dll with the new one. That's it.

On your dev box, replace the old files with the new files, run the VSI, and update your Toolbox if you've added the Toolkit there. That should be it.

No comments:

Post a Comment