Monday, March 26, 2012

UpdatePanel (and other Ajax) not working inside of a frame

Hi,

I'm working on a project that uses a frame for the navigation and then a larger window for the actual content. Most of the site is built with classic ASP - which I know very little of - and we're working towards converting it piece by piece to .NET. I built up a page with several UpdatePanels and at least one UpdateProgress controls on it. Everything works absolutely perfectly until I try to bring it into the frameset used by this site. I thought maybe it was just being inside a frame that it didn't like so I made a simple prototype inside a frame from scratch and ran it outside of our site frame (the top navigation frame was just pointed to google.com and the content frame was what I was testing) and that worked just fine.

I guess the end result of all that is that there's something somewhere in the old ASP section of the site preventing me from using any Ajax on the site. Being so unfamiliar with ASP, I'm not even really sure where to begin troubleshooting something like that.

Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

one thing to note is that using frames is becoming an old obsolete practise and if you are moving to .net I would recomend switching to masterpages to handle navigation and such


I believe that's in the plans at some point. I inherited this site and the frames with it so for the moment, there's nothing I can do about it, unfortunately. I definitely would prefer to go the master page route.

No comments:

Post a Comment